Saturday, January 28, 2012

Blog #4

There have been several times that I've been afraid to do research. Most often it's because I don't want to research the topic at hand because it is not something that interests me, but also because researching is a tiresome task. You have to go from different sources and make sure that none of the sources contradict each other. You also have to be careful that all the sources are legitimate and sometimes you teacher will force you to find a book source, now let's be honest here, I don't care how much a person reads or enjoys books the majority of the information he or she gets is from the internet and barely ever from an actual book source. While I enjoy books as much as the next guy, they're a little outdated as a primary source of information. People don't even get their news from newspapers anymore, it's either from the TV or the internet. In 7th grade I had to do a research paper on a Saint for my Theology class and wasn't allowed to use any internet sources. I spent days scouring libraries in search of books on a specific saint, one of the most difficult tasks of my life. From that day forward I decided that I would only write about topics that interested me, if I'm gonna go through all the work of finding sources, it better be something worthwhile to me.
We research in one way or another every day. I personally am looking up different information on superheroes since Marvel usually comes up with a new hero on a weekly to monthly basis. I like going to their website and looking up information on their newest heroes. I also love soccer, so I like to go online and look up the stats of different teams and players that I like, for example the English soccer team Chelsea, my favorite team and the team I follow on a daily basis. These are different examples of how I "research" in my life.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding research without using the internet must be a NIGHTMARE. I use the internet for everything, school related and not. And searching for the right information can be tedious and annoying.

    ReplyDelete